Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do You Know What I Know?


I'm a big fan of "helpful hints"...if they're actually helpful and actually work of course. When I do find a neat trick that, um, does the trick, I am always so pleased, but often wonder if maybe I was just the last to find out? Either way, whether it was my clever idea or someone else's clever idea that I finally got around to testing out, when it turns out great it's a Yay For Mommy! moment. Today's tip to pass along is a peanut butter solution. Now I have no idea where or when I heard this, but I recalled a tip that sticky, gooey, gummy sticker residue could be removed with peanut butter. I like to try to limit the use of chemicals where I can and heck, I have peanut butter around so I gave it a try.

My first attempt was that stubborn sticker backing and fuzz that I couldn't get off the dining room chair after Jake went through a sticker sticking spree. I rubbed on a dab of peanut butter and lo and behold it worked. No smelly chemicals and the peanut oil agreed with the furniture. DING!

Today I busted this trick out again for two things: to remove the sticky residue left from the band-aid Jake stuck to the hardwood floor (he often asks for a 'boo-boo sticker' to open and waste by sticking it anywhere but on himself) and to remove adhesive on a couple of plastic frosting tubs. I'd let the floor go an embarrassingly long time but a bit of the peanut butter rub and a few swipes of a sponge to clean up and floor done! The tubs took more work because they had more goo and I'd put them through the dishwasher. I thought the empty frosting containers would be handy for craft item storage or even for a project but they had an annoying stripe of label glue on each of them. It took more rubs but still only a few minutes and I had goo-free containers.

I only buy natural peanut butter so I suspect the slight 'grit' it has may help but as far as I know the tip is intended for any peanut butter (I'd skip chunky though). I've also heard peanut butter gets gum out of hair, but I hope I'll never have to test that one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers