Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Another Spelling Bee Update

Jake got Boggle Jr as a Christmas gift. I stashed it away for 'someday' and someday came this week! I assumed it was like the grown-up version (Boggle Sr.?) so I really hadn't imagined it would be of any interest to a 2 1/2 year old fella. Well, as it turns out it's pretty cool even at his age (and mine!) and is something he'll grow with as well. Basically, it's a set of cards with 3 or 4 letter words (no not THOSE 4 letter words), a set of letter dice and a tray with several ways to play. Simply looking at the cards and the words is a way to introduce a 'game'. The cards can be placed in the tray for the player(s) to find the corresponding letters and line them up with the letters on the picture, or the word on the picture can be hidden and the letter dice selected from memory. I also just lined up the dice with letters set to spell out familiar words (such as the names of our cats).

Jake's attention span for games is still a bit short (he asked for Chutes and Ladders today and sort of even played for longer than usual today so it's catching on!) but I really think this is a great way to combine learning and fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendi, great to see you in blogland!!! I wish they had boggle jr when my boys were small! They are JUST getting to the age to play regular boggle. I bought it last year and didn't remember that it was a little over their heads, LOL!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Followers