Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tool Time

Well I got the laundry soap made but didn't get to the other two DIY projects because I started working on yet another new one! Yay for having more projects than there is time to do them! Anyhow, after seeing several home made kitchen sets online I decided darn it...I can do that and I will! I had a small 2-drawer dresser/end table in the basement that I thought would make a good stove/sink and when I went to size it up I found some old kitchen cabinets that, flipped on their side, would be a swell refrigerator. I was completely jazzed to jump in but of course my life no longer operates in such a whimsical way so I had to just dream for a while. In the mean time I did some more poking around the internet for ideas and got all sorts of inspiration.

This past Saturday I was zipping around the house cleaning everything in sight with my new Simple Green cleaner (love it!). When I hit the bathroom I suddenly decided it was the time to put on that final coat of paint and actually finish a (long over due) job. Happily I got it done and while I had extra paint and a wet brush and roller I thought "ding!" time to paint the "stove". So out I scurried to the garage and started slapping paint on the dresser. One coat was certainly not enough but I was happy to be beginning the project - a second coat on Sunday really helped and I may do one more for good measure. Sunday evening I went to Lowe's all by myself and had a great time walking the aisles looking for stuff I could repurpose into burners or knobs or doors or whatever! I found some 3 inch felt rounds that I think were supposed to be for furniture legs that I hope to use as burners and I scored a can of gray gloss spray paint that should be perfect for the stove interior - and half price $3 at that! I'm hoping to get a sink faucet of some sort online; I'm looking at RV size kitchen and bath stuff and think I can get something for under $20. I've been taking pictures and I'll track what I spend so I can put together a summary once it's all done. Yay for Mommy for jumping on a creative hunch and gettin 'er done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers